Volunteer With RMT
Already a volunteer? Login to your Better Impact account here!
Interested in volunteering? RMT strives to create powerful theatre experiences that enrich, educate, and engage audiences. Our passionate volunteers donate their time and energy to create memorable experiences for every guest. Come be a part of RMT and give back to community, make new friends, and have the opportunity to attend outstanding professional theatre at our Arts Campus.
- Join our volunteer program by filling out our application form: Click here to sign up!
- You must be 16 years or older
- Individuals ages 10-15 are welcome to volunteer with a parent or guardian
- You must possess good communication and interpersonal skills
- We do our best to accommodate all physical abilities, however please understand that standing for long periods of time and bending may be required
ATTEND A NEW VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION
Orientations are conducted two times a year, one session in the Fall and one in the Spring. All new volunteers must attend an orientation session to become informed on RMT policies/procedures and the behind-the-scenes operations of the theatre.
At these sessions, you will:
- Hear about different volunteer opportunities
- Meet the RMT front of house staff members
- Tour the Arts Campus
- Meet and chat with other RMT volunteers
RMT is looking for dedicated, friendly individuals to assist patrons with seating, programs, and general customer service. The usher is the first representative of RMT that most patrons will meet when attending a performance. Our ushers tend to the welcome, comfort, and safety of audience members, directing them to their seats and facility accommodations, as well as to the exits in case of emergency.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Greeting patrons (indoors and outdoors)
- Scanning tickets
- Stuffing and/or distributing playbills
- Assisting patrons in locating their assigned seats
- Providing general information regarding the facility (i.e. bar, bathrooms, water fountains)
- Alerting the House Manager of any patron or facility irregularities during performances (i.e. sick patrons, use of recording devices or cameras, A/C issues)
Ushering requires you to be on your feet and some light lifting may be required. Usher hours vary. In general, days and times are roughly Wed-Sun 6:30-10:30 PM and Sat-Sun 1:00-4:30 PM. You can volunteer several times on one production run or choose different shows. Ushers are given a brief orientation every time they volunteer.
These volunteers will work the administrative front desk when our Office Coordinator is away. You will be responsible for answering and transferring phone calls, greeting guests when they enter the building, and accepting packages. You will be trained on the basics when you arrive.
Education Support Committee
These volunteers will work with the RMT education staff to help work the education desk during winter/spring/summer camps, organize the breakroom for the instructors, and set up/clean up their lunches.
These volunteers will assist with putting up or taking down posters and other publicity materials around Birmingham.
- Space permitting, volunteers may attend the production they are helping with once the audience has been seated
- Receive complimentary water or soda from the bar each shift
- Earn one complimentary ticket (Price Level 3) AND one complimentary drink ticket for every nine service hours worked
- NOTE: Tickets may be redeemed for any performance within the season in which they are earned
- Receive one complementary ticket to a preview performance of each production within the season.
- Attend RMT’s annual fall volunteer appreciation event
For more information about volunteering, contact Dakota Patrick, Patron Experience Manager, at email@example.com or (205) 463-3627.